Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compound bows range?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Compound bows range?

I know that most of you guys practise for hunting, 3-D or competitions, but may be somebody have shot an arrow just to see how far it goes. It's not professional, but i like it Last evening i've made a shot of about 230 metres with my MOAB set at about 50# and want to know can i get some metres extra with higher poundage and if so - how many. Also do you know the max range of a modern compound bow? I've heard about an archer with a Turkish bow, who has shot an arrow from Europe to Asia at the Bosphorus, more then 800m and wondered is it possible nowadays.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

will750

I missed the target one time before and never found the arrow.
    Maybe the arrow went from canada to Asia.....loll!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Always when i fire an arrow at 45% i lose it. Sorry, i cannot tell you how far it goes. :P

(That means that is will travel far beyond 400m.)
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by will750 View Post
    I missed the target one time before and never found the arrow.
    Maybe the arrow went from canada to Asia.....loll!!!
    I also have lost some arrows, please do me a favour and look for them in the Quebec area.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Always when i fire an arrow at 45% i lose it. Sorry, i cannot tell you how far it goes. :P

(That means that is will travel far beyond 400m.)
    You must seek harder, Simon... Far beyond 400m!!! Let me ask my question differently: how far away can you shoot an arrow, guys WITH NORMAL DRAW LENGHT? The young giants with DL of 32" are of no interrest to me, they only make me jealous

Post Thanks / Like

Pfffffff~ :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

SonnyThomas

On the Flight level, arrows go a long, long way.... better add long, long to that. Of course the big records are held by high poundage and arrows super stiff, but also super light. And then most use razor blades in place of vanes. Yes, razor blades and because they are super light.

For compounds, Kevin Struthers holds the record for the fastest and longest flight arrow ever shot. I believe these are the numbers; 1320 yds & 588 feet per second. 3,960 feet or 1,320 feet short of one mile. I believe 1,207 meters is correct. A 200 pound recurve has first place by a bit more, 1,336 yards / 1,222 meters.
    Records have yet to be updated, but Kevin now holds the longest distance for anybow, except crossbow. See Link.

http://www.usaarcheryrecords.org/Fli...%20Records.pdf
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 09-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Destroyer

"Unl Compound 1,320-1-3/1,207.39m Kevin,Strother 7/31/1992"

I wonder what make of 1992 bow it was. I know Hoyt claimed to have broken the record in 1990 (i think) with a 120 lbs Proforce Extreme. Must of been heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I also have lost some arrows, please do me a favour and look for them in the Quebec area.
    LOL!

SonnyThomas

I think that date is wrong. If I remember correctly, Kevin wasn't listed a couple years ago. Records are only brought to date every so often.
    See date way at the bottom, September 2009. Kevin really isn't that old is he? Like he did get hitched... 3 or 4 years ago. To the blonde who use to pose for Martin?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for giving the link, Sonny! Very interesting information, just wonder what means "unlimited" bow... oh, and also how they put the razor blades on the shafts?