Thread: Bow Speed & Nock Height

Unregistered

Default Bow Speed & Nock Height

My new Moab was set up at a local shop, it papers tunes perfectly, and I'm grouping 5 arrows in a 4" bullseye at 25 yds. Chronograph indicates 240 fps, using Carbon Express Whitetail's, 250's & 100 gr field points. The nock point is pretty high - the arrow is obviously sitting on a downward slant going forward - but it's shooting well, paper tuning, etc. Arrow flight matches the factory rest holes, etc. etc. - is this slant normal, is this slow of a speed normal (62# setting, 29" draw). Should I just keep shooting, or can I do something about the slow speed? Is it normal for the arrow to sit so high at nock above the rest?? Thanks a ton .. ps, I love the bow so far.

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me right the Whitetail arrows are pretty heavy if you are chasing speed. Sounds like you have the right arrow spine. Have you or can you weigh the arrows? I'd think, given those arrows, the speed for the bow is pretty normal. Much more the norm than some other figures I've seen.

I can't say about the nocking point being high. Too many things can affect this. If you have one I'd recommend shooting a bare shaft through paper for comparison. See if you get a bullet hole with it. Shoot at about 6'.

Now I have some homework to do concerning your arrows. Do you still have the arrow box? The GPI should be on it.

OK, are these the Carbon Express Whitetail Extreme sold by Gander Mountain? If so they weigh 10.6 gpi. Assuming a 28" shaft that comes out to 297 grains. Add point, insert, fletching, and nock the total arrow weight would be close to 435 grains. Now assuming you want the maximum speed for 62# you would need an arrow that weighs 310 grains, 125gr less than what you are shooting. Doing some rudimentary math dropping 125 gr would add about 40 fps to the speed you are getting now---maybe more.

Now all you have to do is find an arrow with the right spine that weighs in at 310 gr. Let's say you drop to a 75gr point. With the insert that would give you 90 grains up front. A savings of about 20 grains.

What vanes are you shooting? 4" weigh around 25 gr. Go to 4" feathers and save another 15 gr. Total?---35 gr. Now we gotta get 90 grains out of the shaft. Let's see, what are some light arrows that spine well? Something that weighs about 7.5 grains per inch for a bare shaft weight of 210 gr.

Gold Tip 22 series, 300 spine,7.3 gpi, 29".................212
    Gold Tip Ultralite 400, 7.4 gpi, 28"..........................207
    Carbon Express Maxima 250, 7.3gpi, 28"...................205
    Easton Litespeed 400, 7.4gpi, 28"...........................207
    Easton Fat Boy 400, 7.8 gpi, 28"...........................218

Add 90 gr for insert and point, 12 for the nock, 15 for 2" Blazers and you'll get about 322 gr to 335 gr. A full 100 grains lighter than your present arrows. That sir, would mean some serious speed gain and still enough for any deer walking.

Of course, there are other arrows like Victory and Carbon Tech that have lighter arrows. These are just a few examples I've shown.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

jhoek

Default Bow Speed & Nock Height

I wouldn't worry about the speed issue. I have a Razor X that shoots about 244 fps. Every deer I've shot with this bow has been a pass through.

jpermenter

I got on here to post a question about arrow speed myself and saw this thread, I am shooting a Cheetah (09) at about 74# with a 370 grain GT 5575 at between 29-30 inch draw length, just got back from shooting at the pro shop. I shot 4-5 arrows at 277 fps. Does everyone think that is pretty average? I have 2 friends that shoot 278 fps with bowtecs that cost a lot more than my cheetah so i was happy.

davydtune

Quote Originally Posted by jpermenter View Post
    I got on here to post a question about arrow speed myself and saw this thread, I am shooting a Cheetah (09) at about 74# with a 370 grain GT 5575 at between 29-30 inch draw length, just got back from shooting at the pro shop. I shot 4-5 arrows at 277 fps. Does everyone think that is pretty average? I have 2 friends that shoot 278 fps with bowtecs that cost a lot more than my cheetah so i was happy.
    Yeah that's not bad.