Thread: Martin grip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin grip

Has anyone done anything different on there newer Martin bows to the grip? I see that they do have the saddleback thermal grip but I was wondering if anyone has used something more comfortable? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought an Onza 3 and I like the grip. It is narrow which is a good thing. It helps to avoid torque. For example my Hoyt CRX 32 (that I am going to sell) has a sticky, too bulky standard grip. The optional accessory grips for Hoyt are better than the original, but with Onza 3 I think I have no need for modifications (except maybe add another piece of leather to the front part of the grip to make it warmer to carry in winter).

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grip

I know some guys (me) who dont like the leather because of odor for hunting and use the Tennis racket grip wrap you get at sporting goods stores. Keeps the cold away and wraps nice and tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B4L Okie View Post
    I know some guys (me) who dont like the leather because of odor for hunting and use the Tennis racket grip wrap you get at sporting goods stores. Keeps the cold away and wraps nice and tight.
    Not so sure about that, because tennis racket grip has been designed to be sticky. And bow grip, in my opinion, should not be sticky (that is why rubber is bad material for grips). A sticky grip may induce torque easier.

The leather grip isn't too sticky, I think it is just perfect. Leather odor? I personally believe more being downwind than scent covering.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    Not so sure about that, because tennis racket grip has been designed to be sticky. And bow grip, in my opinion, should not be sticky (that is why rubber is bad material for grips). A sticky grip may induce torque easier.

The leather grip isn't too sticky, I think it is just perfect. Leather odor? I personally believe more being downwind than scent covering.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't think that little strip of leather will hold enough scent to matter. What the heck. When you go in the woods do you wear the same old belt and carry the same walet that you been using all year long? How about that wrist watch or hat? Guys don't consider everything all the time. I like a very narrow grip myself and not a rubber one for the reason stated. In fact, I used to wear a little pouch on my belt that contained unscented talcum powder. They were used years ago to "lube" the surface of finger gloves and tabs. Tap on it and there was just enough talc on the bow hand to make it slide right up into the same position all the time. These days I don't even have the leather strip on the grip. Shoot right off the riser. To keep the hands warm I just stick my hand in my pocket where the checmical warmer has it nice and toasty and/or wear a cotton glove.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    I just bought an Onza 3 and I like the grip. It is narrow which is a good thing. It helps to avoid torque. For example my Hoyt CRX 32 (that I am going to sell) has a sticky, too bulky standard grip. The optional accessory grips for Hoyt are better than the original, but with Onza 3 I think I have no need for modifications (except maybe add another piece of leather to the front part of the grip to make it warmer to carry in winter).
    here i thought i would like the crx, never shot a hoyt though. good
    to know i made the right decision with martin(actually the forth correct decision)
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2011 Onza and it had the plastic grip inserts until last night... I bought the wood inserts that come in the 2012 models, they came with an extra leather piece. I put it on the back of the riser so I now I have leather front and back. I had to cut it to fit since it was shaped for the concave side of the grip. Then I had to sand the inserts down a little bit because they were designed for one leather piece, not two.

2012-03-07_20-02-09_626.jpg
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Leather Grip

Ok ..the synthetic grip I use is slightly tacky but not sticky. Dont over wrap it either and hand sets nice in grip.Also no odor but I still spray(N-O-Odor brand and unsented soap 4 showering too) b4 hittin the woods. Let me say this.. with a leather grip and you shoot all summer in the heat, and sweating hands, maybe in fall practice too... there will be much human odor on that leather plus what is in the tanning part of making it. I wear scent lock on all clothing... even boots with no leather in them...Wolverine antelopes r awesome.. no billfold as I put only my license in daypack.. and its scent lok lined too. Compared to my pre-scent lok days 12 or 13 yrs ago. it is unbelievable how many deer pass downwind and never smell me. I mean even on the ground walking in to my tree I fool em if they dont see/hear me. To say I am obsessed about scent control.... yep big time but I have been bowhunting since 1975 and nothing is more important to being successful in the woods. Easy to beat their eyesight and if your quiet you might get lucky but beat that nose and you are gonna score. I rarely spook deer now and I set my stands without worrying about wind direction which is really nice. I even use the unscented oil you can buy for use on your gun or other equipment.