Thread: My Scepter V Review - Mostly good but some disappointment

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Scepter V Review - Mostly good but some disappointment

I received mine on Thursday. I just spent the morning setting it up. Initial setup and shots were awesome. You could immediately tell how stable this bow it. I know it will be a shooter. The grip feels great. It aims perfect. Balance is awesome.

Here are my performance results initially and after proper tuning.

Bow arrived with the checklist tag attached.

I checked the timing. The top cam was maxing out ahead of the bottom cam. That required me to add two twists. I checked it again. Now it was perfect.

Draw Length stated 29" on the tag. The bow measured 29" as indicated.
    Draw Weight (45-60lbs) indicated 62.2 on the tag. Actually measured 56.6 bottomed out.
    ATA should be 40". Measured 40 1/4"
    Brace height should be 7". Measured 6 7/8".

So, to reduce the ATA and add the brace and add the pounds, I added 10 twits to each cable.

I remeasured:

Draw Weight: 59.6
    ATA: 40"
    BH 7"

That is as much draw weight as I am going to get. Not really happy about that.

I took my same CXL 250 shaft that I ran on my Shadowcat last year.

Here is my setup. Just a warning. IBO speeds well below advertised.

Draw Weight: 59.6lbs
    Draw Length: 29"
    Brace Height: 7"
    ATA: 40"
    CXL 250 w/90 point total weight of 344grains
    282FPS consistent

I entered all of the parameters into AA and it stated the IBO of 310fps.
    Martin advertises 325-335.

My Shadowcat last year with the same arrow had an IBO rating of 312fps
    Shadowcat setup from last year
    ATA 41 1/2"
    Brace Height: 7 3/4"
    Draw Length: 29"
    Draw Weight: 62lbs.
    My setup had and IBO of 312 when they advertised 320-325

The Nitro 1.5 cams on my Scepter V are identical in shape and curves as the ones on my Shadowcat. You would think with 3/4" shorter brace height the Scepter should be faster as advertised. My Scepter V is shooting 2fps slower than my shadowcat but the draw weight is 3lbs lighter. If I could get it to go to 62lbs then I could have an apples to apples comparison. If I add a couple of feet for each pound, then 3 pounds should make my Scepter V be shooting 316fps to my Shadowcat's 312fps. That puts my IBO about 10fps less than Martin's minimum advertised (325). My Shadowcat was 8fps under their minimum advertised (320). All in all, I would say that is about right on track in my book. I usually take Martin's minimum advertised speed and subtract 5fps and that is usually what I end up with on their bows. The Shadowcat and now the Scepter V are the only two I have ever had to come in 10 under.

This is only one bow and one setup. Others of you may have different experiences. If so, good for you. This has been my experience with Martins and I have been shooting them for 24 years. I have been a staff shooter for 6 years. I really like the bow and it will be a really great shooting bow, especially indoors where speed is not an issue. If you are all about the speeds and getting their advertised specs then good luck. This is my only disappointment with the bow. The speeds are there for me for 3D, but again, I cannot get it to do the minimized IBO.

Clay

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up. It's a bit of a shame the bow turned up with one cam out of tune, that's not something I would expect.

Regarding IBO: I thought the IBO speeds were obtained using a 70lb bow shooting at 30" DL, with a minimum weight arrow (350 grains?). My Shadowcats maxed out will produce 318 fps, but I have a 30.5" DL and shoot light arrows. I then back them off to 295fps, which is just under the 300 fps max I am allowed within the association I belong to. As long as I can get close to 300, then I'm happy.

How's the general fit'n'finish on the Scepter?
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, IBO is for 30" - 70lbs -350gr. AA will calculate the IBO for you based on your current configuration. This works fine on my AlienZ and AlienX. They both hit the minimum IBO of 330fps. The shadowcat and scepter V both cam in low for me.

The finish is great. There are no noticeable issues, but if you let you fingers slide all of over the bow, I have found 4 spots where there is a bump, a raised spot in the film dip. The film is the carbon finish so they are not visible. You have to look at it close to actually see it. These 4 spots are not an issue for me but they are on flat smooth areas and not in angles or edges.

Post Thanks / Like

I think speed is over rated a buy a bow for accuracy not speed..........nice review though.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

have you contacted c/s and see if they have a explanation or solution to this concern?
    If not its a good idea in case there is a problem throughout this current sceptre V line that has slipped through into inventory. I personally would like for them to get a chance to rectify this is you are trulu unsatisfied/disappointed. i think it would benefit martin and their current/future owners that the bow brand they chose is accepted and perceived as high quality industry wide and is the best as it can be for whatever price class the particular model may be in.
    no one wants to own a product that has a poor reputation for obvious reasons, and i'm sure they're working hard to keep their reputation as good as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to call Tech Support today to verify the proper string and cable specs as well as limb deflection numbers to compare to my bow. I will keep you posted on the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the good review.
    What is your thoughts on it compared to the Shadowcat as far as useing it as a finger bow?
    I am really likeing the looks of the Septer for my next bow.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are perfect finger bows. They both are long ATA so to me that alone is enough to make it a good finger bow. The Scepter V just feels and holds better than the Shadowcat. The grip is awesome. There is no difference in the feel of the cams. They are basically the same cam, cosmetically changed so the draw is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks. I have 2 Shadowcats now. It looks like one of them might go up for sale.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.